Is Now A Good Time To Develop Your Building Services Career ?
Have you reflected recently on where your career in construction is going? Whether you are an experienced building services professional or somebody relatively new to the industry, it’s something that is worth doing.
As specialist recruiters in this sector, we are currently seeing unprecedented opportunities, so it is vital that if you want to develop and take control of your career, you do so straight away and start assessing where your future could go.
Here are three sound reasons to take action now.
1) There is currently a shortage of good, well qualified and experienced candidates
Building services, like other engineering disciplines has suffered due to a severe shortage of good quality candidates coming through the ranks. For many years, engineering in general was not a degree of choice, with many students choosing to study other, more popular degree courses such as Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. Even though students are now seeing the benefits of careers in sectors such as Building Services, there is still a shortage of quality candidates with both experience and good academic credentials. If you’ve been in the industry for a few years now without any promotion, it’s time to act. The talent vacuum will be filling fast over the next few years so start developing your career now.
2) Ageing workforce, therefore need younger talent to develop and progress.
Just as there are lots of opportunities for those who have been in the industry for a number of years, there is also a lot of openings for less experienced candidates to make their mark. If you’ve only entered the building services industry in the last few years, then companies are crying out for fresh talent. It can be difficult to know where to start looking as there are a multitude of options available. We’ve helped hundreds of young professionals in the sector get their career off to a flying start by helping match them with a company that can enable their career ambitions.
3) As a candidate you have many options
Are you aware of what opportunities are out there? At Humres Construction we can help give you a wider view of the current market and help you find out the following:
- Are you being paid enough? Do you know what your contemporaries are being paid? It’s easy to lose a view of where you should be in terms of salary if you’ve been with the same company for a number of years. It’s quite possible that your pay has lost touch with current market expectations. You could be in for a shock!
- What’s going on in the wider industry? Whether you are an experienced building services professional or someone relatively inexperienced, understanding what is happening in the market and what trends are occurring is vital to help assess where you want your career to go. As specialists recruiters, we are constantly engaging with companies across the sector, and can help give you an insightful overview, as well as giving you access to a range of high quality, suitable jobs.
If you’d like to talk to a specialist recruiter about developing your career in the building services industry, don’t hesitate to get in touch.